Skip to main content

Moving Home Tips

Moving home can be stressful.  Our conveyancing service  (www. ) is designed to make moving home a more relaxing experience and our home moving consultants are always on hand to help you with any queries.  

For starters here are some tips to help:

Redirect your mail

Don’t forget to have your mail redirected to your new home. Just take two forms of ID to the Post Office and ask for a mail redirection form. Find out more at . Don’t forget to forward mail to previous residents costs nothing, write ‘Not known at this address’ and their new details on the envelope or package then repost it.

Tell your doctor, dentists and health providers that you’ve moved

Make sure you tell your doctor and dentist your new address and contact details. Do the same for any other health clinic or hospital you attend regularly. Don’t be surprised if you have to register with a new GP.

Inform your insurance policies and pension providers

Take time to make sure your bank, building society, insurance and pension providers know your new address and contact details – remember to update any online registration details too.

Notify TV Licensing of your new address.

Your TV licence doesn't automatically move with you when you move house. If you don't notify TV Licensing of you new address, you could end up being unlicensed in your new home, even if you paid for a licence at your old address. Anyone who watches TV without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1000, so make sure you're covered:

Update your driving licence and vehicle registration documents

It’s an offence to hold a driving licence or vehicle registration that does not carry your current address – ask you post office for the appropriate form and let the DVLA know you’re moving as soon as possible:

Cancel the milkman and other home services

Let the milkman know you're moving – and the window cleaner too. Cancel or update any magazine subscriptions too.

Get to know your new neighborhood.

Check out local services and transport at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …