Skip to main content

Do not buy a house without first checking its condition - could save you misery and money!!

Why buy a house without first checking it is structurally sound?  You would not look to buy a car without making sure it was roadworthy. When you buy a property (other than a new home) you will not have any remedies against your seller if you find out that there is something wrong with the property after you have bought it. It is what we call ‘Buyer beware’.

For this reason we always at MJP Solicitors advise those looking to purchase to obtain a survey. There are various different types of survey.

The most basic is a mortgage valuation. Here the mortgage company surveys the property to ensure that is it worth what they are lending to you. They are not worried about any money that you are putting in and you are not able to rely on these to the same extent as you would a more thorough (and costly) survey.  These reports should not therefore be relied upon. 

The most common form of survey, and the one we recommend, is a homebuyers report. This is much more detailed than the simple valuation and will give you details of e.g. damp problems and roofing issues. You can rely more on this more thorough type of survey. They cost around £350 and represent a sound investment.  To know what you are buying before committing to a property is a must for any home buyer.

At MJP we can organise a Home Buyers Report for you.    We will be paid a commission for putting you in touch with a surveyor.  This is usually around £50.  We make a commitment to share this commission with you if you instruct the surveyor through us.  This all helps to reduce your moving costs.

Our fee for dealing with the legals involved in moving start from as low as £200. For further details please contact


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …