Skip to main content

Leasehold Property and the CML Handbook

When acting for a client who is purchasing a property with the aid of a mortgage, a conveyancer is under an obligation to act within accordance of the duty of care to their client but also to the lender, writes Alice Seager, trainee with MJP Conveyancing.

The duty to the lender  is governed by the Council of Mortgage Lenders, who describe themselves as "the representative voice for the residential mortgage lending industry". 

They are  an industrial body representing mortgage lenders in the UK - its members consisting of banks, building societies and specialist lenders. It is estimated that the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) represents 90% of mortgage lending within the UK

Leasehold transactions are long accepted to involve extra work for conveyancers - it is imperative that onerous obligations are brought to the attention of clients. There are issues such as ground  rent and service charge etc to be brought to consider - but further the CML hand book imposes further conditions which are required in a leasehold transaction.

As such conveyancers are obliged to ensure that the lease applicable to the title of a leasehold property is "CML Compliant". The effect obligation renders the process of purchasing leasehold property to be arguably a complex one. This is particularly the case with older leases drafted prior to the introduction of the CML handbook.

The Basic Requirement of CML:

CML requires conveyancers to confirm that there is a good and marketable title to the property. Meaning that the property is free of any restrictions, covenants, charges  etc which are materially detrimental to the value of the property.

It is arguable that leasehold properties by their nature tend to be inclusive of more restrictions and covenants than a typical freehold transaction. Therefore there are more aspects to consider when determining whether or not it is possible to guarantee that a property has a good and marketable title to a prospective lender.

CML Leasehold Requirements:

The first issue that a conveyancer should consider when reviewing leasehold title is the class of title that the Land Registry have granted. Ideally, this should be title absolute. Meaning that the title deeds are in order and that no other individual has a claim to the land. In respect to leasehold property, this means that the lease has been validly granted and that the lease under which the land is held is vested in the freeholder.  

Where an inferior class of title is granted the CML provides that good leasehold title will be acceptable, provided certain other requirements are fulfilled. Good leasehold title is granted when the lessor's title is not registered with title absolute or the title is unregistered. I.e the leasehold title is registered but the freehold is not. 

In this instance a conveyancer should be satisfied that there is evidence of the freehold title which dates back 15 years. Although the CML are providing instances where good leasehold title is acceptable - in practise this is not necessarily of much assistance to a prospective purchaser. If it is possible to provide evidence of the freehold title back dating 15 years, then it is highly likely that the Land Registry would upgrade the preferred class of title absolute and remedy the problem.

It is a further requirement of CML in leasehold transactions that the lease includes an enforceability covenant rendering it an obligation on the landlord to enforce other lessees covenants. The effect of not having such covenant in place is that a lessee, who is for example suffering  nuisance from a fellow lessee does not have the ability to force the landlord to resolve the problem. 

Conveyancers are required to further ensure that the responsibility for insuring the property is that of the landlord, one or more of the tenants or the management company. Conveyancers must be satisfied that there is a sufficient insurance policy in place for the leasehold property. There is no consistent approach to the issue of insurance, as times evolve the definition of "insurable risks" changes. For example, when older leases dating back to the 1970s and 1980s were drafted the need to insure against the risk of terrorism was not one contemplated.

If the Lease is not CML compliant?

If throughout the course of a transaction, it is deemed that a lease is potentially not compliant with CML requirements - the first course of action is to notify the lender and obtain their instructions. The onus is then often reverted back as the lender instructs the conveyancer to act in order to protect their interest.

The defect in the lease will then require rectification and there are few options available to clients in this situation. The first option is for the lessee and the landlord to enter into a Deed of Variation to alter the terms of the lease in order to comply with CML requirements.

Alternatively, lenders will often accept indemnity insurance in order to "remedy" the defect with the lease. However, prospective purchasers should note that this route will merely offer a "quick fix". Wherever possible conveyancers should seek to obtain a Deed of Variation to truly correct the defect.  

It can therefore be concluded to establish that a lease is CML compliant "is not the be all and end all". 

There are practical implications of the various covenants which must be taken into consideration by conveyancers when reporting to clients intending to purchase a leasehold property and these implications typically do not concern the CML.

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …