Skip to main content

Clients Guide on what to check with their conveyancer when purchasing a leasehold property

You instruct a conveyancer to act and look after your interests when purchasing a leasehold property.   You go to that conveyancer to ensure he exercises the skill and care required to ensure that the property you are purchasing can become a home free of legal issues.  

As part of that due diligence process your conveyancer will send to you information about the lease as well as a copy of the lease for you to read through.   He will if he does his job correctly identify what might be wrong with the lease and what he suggests should be done to sort any problems.

This may all be very daunting and in effort to help you understand what to look for and what to query if your conveyancer fails to cover an aspect I have set out below some ( and it’s not intended to be an exhaustive and comprehensive list )  common points to keep in mind:

Have you been provided with a completed copy of the lease?

Has your copy been signed?

How many years does the Lease have to run?  If the remaining term is under 80 years you should seriously consider pulling out unless the seller is prepared to arrange for the lease to be extended before you purchase.

Does the property description in the lease mirror the property you are looking to purchase.  Check the lease plan against the floor layout shown in the sale particulars.  Take the plan and carry out a physical inspection of the property to check for discrepancies.

If you are told there is a garden and or car parking space then make sure this is included as part of the description of the property you are purchasing.

What parts of the property and the amenities are you required to share with other tenants?

Is there a right to pass to and from the property from the closest public highway? If not you may find that someone else could legally prevent you from accessing the property.

How much is the annual ground rent and service charge – can you afford these remembering they can increase depending on the clauses in the lease and the expenditure incurred by the landlord in the upkeep of the building and communal areas.

Check the rent review clause - the ground rent might only be £250 per annum at the time of purchase but this could by the end of the term be as much as a million pounds per annum!

Is there a management company and if so is it properly run and has accounts to show that it takes its responsibilities seriously.

Is the property adequately insured? 

What are the restrictions on use of the property?  Can you sub-let for instance and if so what conditions have to be met?

Even though the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the property you should always get a survey undertaken since if there is major work required you and the other tenants will be required to contribute to that cost however much the expenditure might be.

Finally do consider carefully whether a leasehold property is for you  - many conveyancers including myself advise clients not to purchase this type of property unless there are very compelling reasons so to do. 

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …