Skip to main content

Flash Flooding Risk - Ignore it at your peril

Are solicitors and those working with property doing enough to protect homebuyers?

Most solicitors will obtain an environmental search result and this will disclose whether the property to be purchased is close to or within a flood plain. But however many of those solicitors actually check to see whether the result includes areas where over the past ten years land and property has suffered damage from pluvial or flash flooding?

Flooding is probably the most significant natural hazard we face in the UK and around 2.8 million people are at risk from pluvial, or rain related, flooding, which represents around one- third of all flood risk in the UK. This figure could increase by 1.2m by 2050 due to a combination of climate change and population change. Population change has the potential to put three times more people at risk than climate change.

Since 2000, insurers have paid out £4.5 billion to customers whose homes or businesses have been hit by flooding. The 2007 summer floods were responsible for £3 billion of payments alone. It is estimated that the total value of assets under flood risk is more than £200 billion.

Pluvial flooding occurs when an extremely heavy downpour of rain saturates the urban drainage system and the excess water cannot be absorbed. This can occur without warning and in the worst cases, such as happened in Glasgow, York and Hull can cause huge destruction.

So what does this mean for the homeowner?

Increased Premiums

To begin with those in affected areas are likely to see increase in premiums and others continue to remain at risk of being priced out of insurance in twelve months’ time.

Possible non-availability of insurance

The ABI and the Government are still locked in negotiations over whether the insurance industry should continue to guarantee insurance for those who live in high-risk areas.

Without a new approach, the ABI estimates that up to 200,000 property owners will struggle to get affordable flood insurance when the current agreement with the Government ends in June 2013.

Possible non-availability of mortgages

The Council of Mortgage Lenders warned that the “big and significant issue” surrounding the potential lack of flood insurance would inevitably impact upon the housing market.  Significant increases in premiums or excesses "could compromise the affordability of the mortgages" and make it harder for the homeowner to find a mortgage. 

Possibly left with an ‘unsalable’ Property

Realistically if a property has been flooded in the past it is unlikely that someone will be interested in taking the property on particularly when there is a risk insurance cover could be expensive or possibly unavailable.  You also need to ask would you want to be living in a property when there is a risk that your home could be affected by flooding?

So this brings me back to where I started, are lawyers doing enough to protect clients from these possible consequences?  As a buyer what should you be looking to do to make sure your lawyer is carrying out checks on flooding?

If you are selling a property that has a flood history then this needs to be disclosed since if you fail to do so and the buyer relies on the representation the transaction could be set aside if the buyer later found out you had misled him.

If you are buying then you should make sure your lawyer carries out an environmental search and that the search result contain information on flash flooding.     If the property is in or close to a flood plain you should always invest in a flood report to obtain greater detail of the flood risk.   Paying £40 for a report is a small price to pay for the comfort of the information it will provide.

Check on Google as to whether there have been any reports of flash flooding in the area.   

Visit the Flood Agency website though make sure any information you rely on includes the risk of flash floods.

Check with your insurer in advance of exchanging contracts to make sure the post code of the property will not lead to you having to pay more for your insurance or whether there is a risk that the property may become uninsurable.

Inspect the property carefully or better still get your surveyor to report to you on whether there is evidence of past flood damage.

The message is that we should all exercise more care when we look at purchasing property to ensure the flood risk is given the priority is clearly warrants.

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …