Skip to main content

Divorce: the importance of choosing the right solicitor

Considering divorce can be a daunting experience at the best of times but when we are still coming out of a recession and may in fact be entering a second recession the thought of having to enter into ‘battle’ over the family assets is for some a major nightmare.

In some cases the only asset is the home and though there will be considerations to be taken into account if children are involved the resolution of the finances between the parties can be relatively straightforward.

However there are more complex cases involving businesses, investments, trust funds and even inheritances.  To find a solution that will meet the needs and financial goal of each party is not easy and often proves problematic as well as expensive.

The need for a good solicitor and one who can work with you to find a working solution without having to run up a large legal bill is essential.  The aim is to ensure there is full and early assessment of the value of the assets, usually with the help of specialist financial planners and other experts, and that the line of communication is opened early, and remains open, with all concerned.

You need to choose a solicitor who can handle you case in such a way so as to minimize the hostility and bitterness that often hampers progress.   A solicitor than can allow you and your partner to preserve your dignity and to work together in doing all that you can you to ensure that those assets which have been accumulated within the marriage are not lost in unnecessary legal and court fees.

A good solicitor will not be one who embarks on sending out inflammatory letters and whose actions only serves to fuel additional bitterness as well as taking money out of your pocket when it is not necessary.

The need to open up early and constructive dialogue with the solicitor acting for the other spouse is essential.   Early and open discussion on issues that you and your spouse believe to be addressed will help to ensure issues are constructively discussed and resolved and the need for Court intervention is reduced.

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …