Skip to main content

What can conveyancers learn from the Grenfell Tower tragedy?

The inquiry into the cause of  the tragic Grenfell Tower fire will almost certainty focus on the role of the Freeholder and Management Company and investigate any failings on their part.  

In the meantime  what steps as conveyancers can we take to ensure  clients are well informed of the risk of fire when purchasing a flat in a high raise building.

To begin with, we should all be asking to see the risk assessment and checking when this was last updated as well as checking that any recommendations have been followed. 

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 became law in October 2006 and introduced significant change to workplace fire safety responsibilities. It also  simplified the legislative regime by bringing all fire safety legislation together into one Order. Essentially it introduced the need for employers, building owners and occupiers as 'responsible persons' to carry out, implement and maintain a fire safety risk assessment. That is someone who has been trained to do so!

A 5-step fire safety risk assessment checklist is available to help 'responsible persons' carry out and implement a risk assessment in their premises.

All non-domestic premises including the common or shared parts of blocks of flats or houses in multiple occupation are covered by the Order, and may be inspected by their local Fire and Rescue Authority. Under the Order, Fire and Rescue Authorities have a statutory duty to ensure compliance and enforce the requirements where necessary.

As well as the check-list setting out what is required within an adequate risk assessment, an on-line form is available to help check the extent to which the assessment will comply with legislation.Fire risk assessment guidance: 

If the seller is not able to supply it the seller should be asked to obtain an assurance from the Freeholder/Management Company one will be sought and made available within a reasonable period of time.  

Health and Safety  legislation has the allowance of 'reasonable steps' being taken to comply. If there is a plan in place to assess at some stage in the future  this may help to avoid immediate enforcement action and it might therefore be wise to ask the seller to provide confirmation from the Freeholder/Management Company that there is at least a plan in place to undertake the assessment.

If the client is to acquire an interest in the Freehold/Management company then there is a need to warn the client of the risk of enforcement for so long as it takes to supply the assessment.  

What other steps can be taken?

The following additional enquiries should also be considered. 

Is there a sprinkler or other fire suppression system installed? More than a million people are living in council owned tower blocks with no sprinkler systems. In all newly constructed blocks taller than 30m sprinklers need to be installed, though surprisingly not in common areas. 

Has the building undergone refurbishment and if so was the fire risk assessment updated?

Is the property cladded and if so does the cladding contain a plastic or mineral core?  It is understood cladding with a plastic core was used in the West London tower.  Has the cladding been sent to the Government test laboratory and if so what was the result of the testing? 

Does the building have fire doors fitted throughout? 

Has the relevant Fire Service visited and inspected the building and when did the last inspection take place? 

Our job as lawyers is make sure we can obtain the right type of information to enable our clients to make informed decisions before they commit to make a property their home.  The risk of fire and fire mitigation measures will clearly in the light of this tragedy be in the forefront of all of our minds. 

MJP Conveyancing are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877067 or via email at


Jim Mallams said…
Not only should a purchaser seek information and clarification from their conveyancer on these matters the property should be assessed through an inspection by a Chartered Surveyor #RICS to ensure what is stated as being the case actually is.

Purchasers really need to consider the benefits of engaging a Building Surveyor to assess the building in which they are purchasing a legal interest, to provide the necessary commentary and peace of mind. A valuation survey is just not enough!

Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …