Skip to main content

Stamp Duty Changes - Guide for clients and conveyancers

The Government has now confirmed the rules for higher stamp duty land tax higher rates for purchases of additional residential properties.  These changes will take effect as from the 1st April 2016

In this article some of the main features of the changes are examined.

The higher rates will be 3% above the standard rates of SDLT but will not apply to purchases of property under £40,000 or purchases of caravans, mobile homes and houseboats. Transitional provisions provide that where contracts were exchanged on or before 25 November 2015 and the purchase completes on or after 1 April 2016 the higher rates will not apply.  A calculator is available on the website which calculates the amount of SDLT due on purchases of additional residential properties:

If you’re replacing your main residence you will not be liable to pay the extra 3% SDLT if the property you are purchasing is replacing your main residence and that has already been sold.  This is the case even if you already have two or more properties, and you sell your main residence and buy a replacement residence within three years.

Renting a new main residence in the time between disposal and purchase will not prevent the purchase from being a replacement of a main residence unless the period of the tenancy agreed is more than seven years.

If there’s a delay selling your main residence and it hasn’t been sold on the day you complete the purchase of your new main residence you will have to pay higher rates because you own two properties.  However you should  get a refund if you sell your previous main residence  within three years.  There is a simple form to complete which will be available on 1st April. This will need to be completed within 3 months of selling your previous main residence, or within 12 months of the filing date of the return, whichever comes later. This can be completed by the main purchaser of the property which the higher SDLT payment was paid on or by a solicitor acting on your behalf if you provide a letter of consent.

If you are purchasing any properties jointly with other people and any of them already own one or more properties, you’ll need to pay the higher rates.  Ironically this will cause unfairness to certain people who are looking to get their feet on the property ladder.  Take the following example.  A couple is in the process of purchasing a property jointly, which will be their main residence. One of the couple currently owns another property which is rented out and the other is a first time buyer. Surprisingly ( and I say this as the objective behind the changes is to make it easier for first time buyers to find affordable property) the higher rates will apply to the total purchase price as following the purchase one of the joint owners will own an interest in an additional residential property. For joint purchases the higher rates will apply if either of the purchasers own other residential property.

If you’re married or in a civil partnership, buying a property and your spouse or civil partner already owns a property you may still be liable to the higher rates though as is mentioned above you may be able to claim a refund if the interest in the other property is disposed of within 3years.

If you are purchasing a property and at the same time inherit a share in another property which is 50% or less of the market value of the inherited property the inherited share will not be taken into account providing the purchase completes within three years of becoming entitled to the inherited share.  This means the additional tax will not be payable.

It’s worth mentioning in conclusion the following exemptions:

You don’t have to pay SDLT or file a return if:

·         no money or other payment changes hands for a land or property transfer
·         property is left to you in a will
·         property is transferred because of divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership
·         you buy a freehold property for less than £40,000
·         you buy a new or assigned lease of 7 years or more, as long as the premium is less than £40,000 and the annual rent is less than £1,000
·         you buy a new or assigned lease of less than 7 years, as long as the amount you pay is less than the residential or non-residential SDLT threshold
·         you use alternative property financial arrangements, e.g. to comply with Sharia law

What does this mean for conveyancers?

The first consideration is to ensure that clients are made aware of the changes and of the obligation which rests with the client to provide full and truthful disclosure of the circumstances which surround the purchase. The legislation places the obligation on the client to make the correct declaration and will not require the conveyancer to ‘police’ the system

I do consider however that terms of retainer should make it clear that advice on taxation issues relating to the transaction including stamp duty does not fall within the ambit of the retainer and that if advice is sought is should be taken from an accountant or expert.

If as is usual the conveyancer acts as the client’s agent to submit the stamp duty return then again the appointment letter should make it clear that the return is being submitted on the basis of the information supplied and that the conveyancer does not accept any liability for any information sent which turns out to be incorrect.

All quoting systems should be reviewed and changed and consideration be given to the questions which need to be asked to determine stamp duty liability.

Questions like the following:

·         Do you or your partner ( if applicable) own any other property?

·        If you do is the property you are purchasing to be used to replace your main residence which you are selling or which you have sold within the past years ( calculated with reference to the date on which you estimate you will be completing your purchase)?

If the answer to the first question is yes and the answer to the second question is no then in all likelihood the additional stamp duty will apply.  There may be other exceptions but in general terms this should flush out the information required.

There should also be training sessions arranged for all staff so that the detail of the changes and the examples within the Revenue’s Practice Note can be considered.

MJP Conveyancing are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877067 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …