Skip to main content

Norwich - A fine City to buy a property in

The news of Radio One choosing  Norwich as its venue for its Big Weekend in May will undoubtedly help to remind people of the popularity of Norwich as a place to live. 

Based in East Anglia and situated about 20 miles away from some of the very best coastlines in the UK, Norwich continues to grow not only as a top tourist destination but also as an ideal location to establish a home.

So what does Norwich offer?

There is much more to Norwich than Delia Smith and Stephen Fry and a former Premiership football team.  

Norwich bustles with good and varied shops, restaurants and pubs and offers a unique quality of life. 

There is an excellent theatre hosting some of the top shows in the country.

Norwich is also the gateway to the Norfolk Broads. There are  Nature Reserves  and it is also situated close to a number of the top Natural Trust Land/Properties 

Though there is a large selection of restaurants and public houses it would be remiss not to make specific reference to the Last Wine Bar  and The Georgian Town House  There are lively eateries and ones which offer good quality food. 

Norwich Property Market

Finding a property in Norwich may however prove difficult. 

The opening of the Eleveden by pass has increased the drive time to and from London and with a good train service running from Nowich to London with Trains every hour transport routes into the capital are better than have ever been.  This has led to an increase in demand and prices in Norfolk have been rising and will continue to rise this year. 

There is a distinct shortage of stock in Norwich at all price points which is a situation that has been in play since 2009 and it just keeps getting worse.

According to Rightmove the majority of sales in Norfolk during the last year were detached properties, selling for an average price of £259,940. Terraced properties sold for an average of £157,736, with semi-detached properties fetching £172,339.

If you are looking for help to find a property give Pymm and Co and Abbotfox agents which have a good reputation in the area.    Try also the local property newspaper edited by Caroline Culot

As for conveyancing solicitors beware if you are directed to a specific firm by an estate agent as commission fees are rife in the City and add to the cost of buying a home. 

At MJP we have no ties with any agent and offer competitive fees.  You can obtain a  quotation here 

For more information on Norwich Tourist Information Board 

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …