Skip to main content

What is a Flying Freehold?

Some people may have heard of these but are unsure what they are. And although they are rare it is important to know what they are for when they do appear.

Flying Freehold

A flying freehold is a section of a freehold property that is structurally above another person's property and not connecting with ground level. Flying freeholds arise when part of one property is built on top of part of another property and so the upper property owner does not own the building or land underneath the "flying" part. A common example of this is where a room or part of a room is over a shared passageway in a row of terraced houses. A flying freeholder is subject to the risk that the subjacent owner may fail to maintain and repair its property, which may damage or prejudice the structure on which the flying freehold physically rests. A subjacent owner can be required to physically support and repair in relation to the freehold above it.

So what implications does this have when you are looking to purchase a property that may be subject to a flying freehold? The main concern is whom the obligations of support, maintenance and repair fall on and can those obligations be enforced. The problem here is that the burden or obligations of a positive covenant generally cannot be passed on from owner to owner, as they do not follow the land unlike restrictive covenants. In order for a positive obligation to perpetuate each owner needs to enter into a Deed of Covenant to observe and perform the positive obligations.

Through the passage of time, as flying freeholds tend to affect older properties, these obligations can become lost and the chain of a deed of covenant can break down. This therefore means that without this chain the property is left with no rights of support, access and repair.

There are solutions to this problem, the first being to enter into a Deed of Mutual Easement and Covenants with the neighbouring property. Both property owners enter into a deed of mutual easements and covenants, granting the necessary rights of support and protection, access for repair and maintenance for each other’s properties and imposing obligations on both parties to keep their own property in repair and insured and to reinstate if damaged. This is of course reliant on the co-operation of the neighbouring property owners and can add further time and money to a transaction.

The second solution is to obtain an indemnity insurance policy for a flying freehold. This is not the ideal solution as it simply papers over the cracks of the problem and does not fully resolve it. A primary concern with flying freeholds is not necessarily the rights to repair and maintain but the rights of access to be able to carry out repairs. An indemnity policy does not grant this.

Lenders are reluctant to lend on flying freeholds for these very reasons. They want to ensure the security for the mortgage is sound. As conveyancers we are bound to follow the guidelines set out in the CML handbook ( One of the key points they ask in relation to flying freeholds and indeed freehold flats is that we can certify that the title is good and marketable. If the rights have been lost, do not exist or are difficult to obtain then the marketability of that property is reduced.

Freehold Flats

Very little explanation is needed as to what these are as it is right there in the name, it is a flat which is held and sold as freehold as opposed to leasehold.

The problem with this type of property is that very few lenders will lend on these. Going back to the CML handbook the first requirement to meet on this type of property is “the property must have all necessary rights of support, protection, and entry for repair as well as a scheme of enforceable covenants that are also such that subsequent buyers are required to enter into covenants in identical form”.

In an ordinary flat sold as leasehold these rights would all be contained within the lease. The lease would provide for payments from each leaseholder to contribute toward maintenance, repair and insurance. With a freehold no such document exists, therefore each freeholder is responsible for his or her own unit. But if you have a block of freehold flats and there is a problem with the roof, who has the responsibility for repair? If a unit on the second floor does not have insurance and then floods their property affecting the unit below, who is responsible for the repair? Does the unit on the ground floor have to claim on their own insurance, pushing up their own premiums?

The final key point to consider from the CML handbook extract above is rights of access. Again in a leasehold flat these rights would be contained within the lease. As conveyancers we need to ensure that you as the purchaser have the relevant rights to access your property. With a freehold flat where are the rights of access to the property contained, and where are the rights of access through communal areas to a second floor flat for example.

As stated above, very few lenders will lend on a freehold flat. But even if you are a cash buyer it is an investment which would need serious consideration. At some point in the future you may want to sell this property and lenders will be unlikely to provide potential buyers with a mortgage. In practice freehold flats are rare but they are something you need to be aware of, especially those reliant on a mortgage.

Article written by Michael Riches - Trainee with MJP Conveyancing  

MJP Conveyancing are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …