Skip to main content

Your Guide to the Digital Property World

With more and more of us having access to the internet through tablets and smart phones, it should be of no surprise that there are an increasing number of websites available to satisfy the digital appetite of the property seller/purchaser.  

At one time the focus of these website was the professional, however the emphasis has clearly changed with more and more online portals popping up to provide the consumer with direct access to information.

The increasing number of house price indices will soon be challenging the number of coffee outlets! The better of the bunch include  and these website offer the consumer not only access to the national property market but also offer information on latest UK house prices.  They also offer a range of sold price information databases, meaning that consumers have a much more accurate view on how much a property might be worth.

You can also take a look at the crime rate for the postcode by visiting
If the standard of local schools is of importance you can find the latest Ofsted inspection report rating here:

If public transport is important check the location of the local bus/train station and timings of buses/trains by visiting:

Check your mobile phone reception and broadband speeds within the home. The following website shows some of slowest areas in the country:

As for the conveyancing process is concerned, the bad news is that there is still a lack of products on offer which enable a consumer to access information and documents during the course of a transaction. offers some relief by providing the consumer with 24/7 access to post, conveyancing documents, solicitor updates and legal reports generated during the course of the transaction.   These are all presented in an online and client specific property log book which can be accessed even after the transaction completes.

My firm makes use of this portal and since it was made live in 2011 it has helped handle 29,000 transactions.  It clearly used by our clients having recorded in July of this year over 16,500 views.

The Law Society Portal which will be launched soon promises more of this type of portal – only time will tell if it the Law Society can for the very first time deliver a product which will be adopted and preferred by professionals and consumers alike.

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …