Skip to main content

Good News for Home Buyers - Cost of moving is set to reduce in Spring

The cost of buying a home is to be reduced shortly following an announcement from the government agency responsible for maintaining the register of property titles, The Land Registry.  

If you have purchased a property you will be aware that on the sale of any property the buyer’s solicitor has to apply for registration of the transfer with the Land Registry, and pay a fee for the service.

The good news for home buyers is that the Land Registry has announced that it will be halving the fees it charges home buyers as from 17 March, with the immediate consequence that the transfer fee for an average-priced home will fall from £190 to £95.

This registration fee is payable after the purchase transaction completes, so the benefit of the reduced fees will be passed on to buyers whose purchases are completed on or after 17th March.

The amount of the fee is based on a scale varying with the purchase price.

This reduction has come about due to the Land Registry’s electronic Document registration Service (e-DRS) which allows buyers’ solicitors to submit the majority of transfer applications digitally.   This has also led to a reduction in the time it takes to register the title with the Land Registry. 

Here is a guide to the new fee structure for the electronic submission of applications.

Purchase price
Old fee
New fee
£0 to £50,000
£50,001 to £80,000
£80,001 to £100,000
£100,001 to £200,000
£200,001 to £500,000
£500,001 to £1 million
Over £1 million

Morgan Jones and Pett are solicitors who provide legal advice and services to clients based in England and Wales and who can be contacted on 01603877000 or via email at


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …