Skip to main content

Are hospitals doing enough to prevent avoidable thrombosis?

The NHS, writes Simon Bransby,  is paying out millions of pounds in clinical negligence claims because hospitals are failing to spot life-threatening blood clots.

New figures show that since 2005 the health service has spent £112m compensating patients who have suffered an avoidable thrombosis.

According to thrombosis charity Lifeblood, just 30 of the 159 hospital trusts in England meet the mandatory goal of risk-assessing at least 90% of patients admitted to hospital.

That means 4.5 million patients a year miss out on potentially life-saving assessments that could prevent clots.

Simple measures such as compression stockings and blood-thinning drugs can reduce the risk of clots in high-risk patients, such as those having surgery.

David Jones, Senior Partner and Head of the Clinical Negligence Department at Norwich specialist clinical negligence solicitors Morgan Jones & Pett explains “These figures are not surprising. My firm regularly handle claims against the NHS for claims arising out of a failure to spot blood clots. It is well known that thrombosis prevention guidelines are in place and it is not difficult, with the right tests, to ensure that these life threatening conditions are spotted.”

David Jones adds: "It is evidently more sensible to ensure that the right assessment and treatment is carried out, as it much more preferable and costs substantially less, to treat patients rather than paying them off when things go wrong."

MJP Solicitors have a specialist team of personal injury and clinical negligence injury claim experts who offer free legal advice about taking a claim, if you, a friend or relative have been in an accident or suffered from medical negligence please get in touch with MJP Solicitors to find out what to do next on 01603 877000


Popular posts from this blog

Party Wall Act Costs - Protecting the building owner from the Highwayman

One of the most worrying aspects of entering the Party Wall Act 1996 (Act) arena is the uncertainty surroundingfees, or as they are referred to within the Act -‘costs’.
If you are fortunate enough ( or some might say lucky enough) to have at your side a competent party wall surveyor, and one with a moral compass, the chances are you will derive a certain degree of protection.However, there is still no guarantee you will not need to set aside a considerable sum of money to cover the cost of becoming trapped within the Act.This applies equally to both building owner and adjoining owner, and one must not forget that if an adjoining owner’s surveyor does not recover all of his costs from the building owner, there is every possibility the adjoining owner may be left to meet the remaining liability.
The problem of high, unreasonable and unpredictable costs is caused, in part, by a piece of malfunctioning legislation, and patly as a result of certain unconscionable conduct on the p…

Building Regulations and moving home

Do I have supply evidence of Building Regulation Approval in respect of works carried out to my property when I look to sell my property?
If you have the approval then of course supply it – it will help to ensure your sale moves quickly.
If you have carried out works and approval was required and sought and you no longer have a certificate then call the issuing council and ask for a duplicate.
If you have carried out work, and the work required building regulation approval, but this was not sought then you need to consider with your solicitor when the work was carried out and what to do in response to your buyer’s request for sight of the approval.
The following may help.
Check that work carried out actually required building regulation approval as not all work attracts the requirement.
If the building work was carried out before November 1985 it would not require building regulation approval. There is no need therefore to supply it or offer indemnity insurance.
If work was carried out af…

Do not purchase a New Build Property without first reading this....

Buying a property which has yet to be built, or which is newly constructed should be approached with care and here are some tips which will help:
Remember those friendly and helpful people within the sales offices are sales people and are no different from those people who you would find in car and double-glazing showrooms.  They are paid on results and work under the pressure of targets.   Once they have you signed up they will be your best friend and be in regular, sometimes daily, contact until they have collected all of you money.   There are many instances when this shadowing could be conceived as harassment.At the outset you will be asked about whether you have a mortgage and a solicitor to undertake the legal work.   You will be steered towards making use of the developers preferred brokers and solicitors.  These are ‘partners’ who have been chosen to work with the developer as the developer expects those partners to report to them regularly and to do all they can to ensure the …